Six outstanding students have been named Wilson Scholars at Appalachian State University. The Wilson Scholars Program is the university’s most prestigious, merit-based scholarship program, which covers full institutional costs as well as an additional $10,000 experiential learning stipend.
The 2017 recipients of the Wilson Scholars Program are:
- Evan Malinchock of Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Everett “Jabari” Moore of Mint Hill, North Carolina
- Jama Brookes of Connelly Springs, North Carolina
- Joy Siler of Asheville, North Carolina
- Sydney Shadrick of Lake Zurich, Illinois
- Sydney Stoter of Califon, New Jersey.
Shadrick is the founder of the non-profit charity Kids’ Kets, an initiative to provide stuffed animals and blankets to hospitalized children during the holiday season. She hopes to follow in the footsteps of her grandmother, a former special education teacher. Shadrick is also highly involved with Student Government and the National Honors Society in addition to serving as president of the Buddy Project, a club dedicated to serving students with disabilities, and as a mentor to rising high school freshmen. Her intended major is special education.