The Department of Reading Education and Special Education helps prepare teacher candidates to be qualified professionals who are leaders in the region, state and nation. Students enrolled in our classes will complete coursework that is relevant to their field of study. Our undergraduate program in Special Education culminates with a semester of student teaching, while our graduate programs offer experiences working in the Anderson Reading Clinic with children in the community. Our teacher licensure programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Schedule a tour! The RCOE's James Center for Appalachian Educators' organizes tours to recruit, support, and retain teacher education majors during their time at Appalachian State. Come visit the reading clinic, take a guided tour of the the RESE department and College of Education building, attend a class, meet with a faculty member, and more!
- Bachelor of Science in Special Education
- Minor in Special Education Program of Study
Accelerated Admissions (4+1): Baccalaureate to Master's Programs
- Master of Arts in Reading Education
- Adult Literacy Concentration
- Classroom/Clinical Concentration
- Graduate Certificate in Reading Education
Program requirements for the Reading Education programs above can be found here.
- Master of Arts in Special Education
- Learning Disabilities Concentration
- Emotional/Behavioral Disorders Concentration
- Intellectual Disabilities Concentration
- Graduate Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Graduate Minor in Autism Spectrum Disorders
Program requirements for the Special Education programs above can be found here.
Admissions and Resources
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Applying to the Accelerated Admissions Program
- Graduate Admissions
- Undergraduate Scholarship Opportunities
- Graduate Scholarship Opportunities
- RESE Graduate Scholarships
- Reading Licensure
- Applying to the Reich College of Education / Praxis Information
Need More Information? Click on the pictures below to direct you to where you need to go.